Friday, October 9, 2009

A break before Chapter 3

Words: 0
Mood: Fine

I have decided to take today off. Usually what I do when I write is while laying in bed the night before I write, I decide what I'm going to be writing about. And if I don't work everything out the night before, I lay in bed in the next morning and do it. That is one of the reasons why I sometimes start writing so late.

But Chapter 3 is important. Chapter 1 was a fun introduction to the characters, chapter 2 was character history and chapter 3 is the chapter where the impetus for the rest of the book is established. I know what the impetus is, but I don't know how I'm going to do it. And when I think about it, all I get is a mental picture of the main character at his job and nothing else.

Since getting this chapter right will make the rest of the book flow really easily, I decided to give myself the weekend to work it out. I know that it's there. It's just a matter of allowing it to come to the surface. I'm actually a little surprised that it hasn't already. Perhaps the gears of my brain are locked in a particular direction and I need to back up and a little and start again.

No comments: