Monday, October 19, 2009

It felt like I wrote more than I did today

Words: 1,556
Time: 10:45 - 1:45 (1hr lunch)
Mood: Pretty good
Impression: It's good

Today was one of those days that I have where I think that I've written more than I actually have. I guess that I am done before 2 so I couldn't have written that much, but in my head it feels like I covered a lot. Either way, my brain is too tired to write anything else today so I have to stop.

It is a little amazing how it works sometimes. Sometimes when I know what I will be writing and it is just a matter of sitting and writing it, I can write for 3 or more hours. Other times when I have no clue where it's going I have to take a lot of breaks and I can only write for 2 hours. After the latter, it feels like my brain is tired and all I can do is lay down for a while. That is how I feel today.

What I wrote today was pretty good though. It told the story that I'm trying to tell. And at the same time it was funny and a little sad. It was funny on the surface, but scratch the surface even a little and you can see that it's based on a really sad thing. It was a successful bit of writing.

I think that I have completely settled into the humorous style of the book. I originally referred to the humor as sardonic. I was wrong. I was miss using the word. I guess what I'm doing is playing with words in such a way that you laugh at my main character. So the main character is constantly saying things that he doesn't know is funny, but someone hearing it would. The humor borders on absurdist, but isn't quite. I guess it would be satirical with hints of wit.

And now that I have explained it, like any good joke, you will now no longer find it funny. Oh well. :-)

No comments: