Monday, October 5, 2009

The End of Chapter One

Words: 1,701
Time: 11:30 - 2:30 (1hr lunch)
Mood: Anxious/Chilled/Contemplative
Impression: It is a good Chapter 1

When a person sits down to write a book, there is only so much preparation that they can do. I write books that are about something, so what I first do is decide what the book is going to be about. In this case I decided that this book would be about 'how society teaches us to want things that we don't really need'.

Next I choose a framework to explain that idea. In this case it was about someone who was unhappy and decides to use penis enlargement to make himself happier. I knew that I wanted this to be a funny and spiritual book, but I wasn't quite sure how I was going to do it. I also knew that I wanted to include the content of my www.RateABull.com videos, but I wasn't sure how to work it into the story.

So with this and the rough outline of how the story will proceed I began the writing. It still amazes me how a book fills itself in once you start writing. I wrote some really great, funny stuff in the first chapter. But now I don't know if I can do the same thing in the second chapter.

I don't love writing so I'm not one of those types that just loves the journey of it all. The exploring is not what I go after. I'm a goal and results oriented guy. But it seems that for me writing a book is really about letting go and trusting in my ability to find the next word or the next phrase.

I guess like a lot of other things in life, it is about being present in the moment. I need to keep in mind that I am doing my greatest work now. Because of this book, for the rest of my life this year will be the most creatively productive year of my life. I will never top this year. And because of that I don't need to be anywhere else other than right here doing what I'm doing.

I think this cool weather (it's 70 degrees F) makes me think of fall in Wisconsin where I went to college. Those were the most wonderful times of my life and I didn't always appreciate them. I miss wonderful times. I wish I had more of them.

No comments: