Friday, October 16, 2009

How many gay jokes are too many

Words: 2,176
Time: 12 - 3:15
Mood: Very good
Impression: I can't believe I wrote today

I got up very late today. I'm not going to bed any later but it seems that my body wants to get 7 to 7.5 hours of sleep so now I'm getting up at 11. Laying in bed I considered not writing but then I remembered that I actually knew what I would be writing today. That made it easier for me to say, 'well, I'll just write to the end of the section.' And the end of the section ended up being 2,100 words in and took me to the end of the chapter. Very cool!

But the question that I have to ask myself now is, how many gay jokes are too many? They certainly aren't offensive jokes. I wouldn't classify them as jokes at the expense of gay people. It's more about an awkward, straight guy not knowing anything about gay people, but believing that he does. That's not bad right? I hope not because apparently there's going to be a lot of them in this book.

It would be the same if a white person wrote a character that was blissfully ignorant of black but thought he was an expert, right? Yeah, that would be bad at all. Which brings up another question. How many fat jokes are too many? So far I have only done 3. And I have done it because of the comedic rule of 3. But maybe I should be more comfortable with that one.

Yay, it's the weekend!

No comments: