Monday, October 26, 2009

This is taking longer than I thought

Words: 1,726
Time: 11:45 - 2:05 (1/2hr break)
Mood: Neutral
Impression: This is feeling alike story about a black guy

So I took Friday off again. It was the beginning of chapter 5 and knew that it was going to different from the other chapters. And when I woke up Friday I knew that I didn't know what all was going to happen in the chapter. Even after I started to figure out where the chapter was going I still didn't feel like I had enough to get started.

The final piece came to me on Sunday night and when I realized it, I knew that it was the piece that I was waiting for. It's kind of strange the way this story is unraveling for me. Usually I write 5 days a week religiously and it feels more like dictation. With this story I feel like I'm struggling for every word and shift in the story. I'm not used to this. I think that the book is as good or better than what I've written before, but I'm not used to the process being so difficult.

What's also different from all of the other things that I've written is that this feels like it is written from the perspective of a black guy who grew up black American. That's unusual for me. I'm not from America so I wouldn't consider myself black American. In fact, black American culture is still a bit of foreign land to me.

All of my stories exist in a neutral middle class America. But this one definitely feels very different. It's not intentional, and I'm not even sure that it's welcome. But that is what's coming out so there it is. This is when I start hoping that books based in black culture can appeal to more than just black people. I assume that it will but I wonder if I will lose readers because of this fact.

No comments: