Thursday, October 8, 2009

End of Chapter 2

Words: 1,610
Time: 10 - 12:15
Mood: Calmer
Impression: Not a particularly funny chapter but very insightful.

This chapter wasn't funny like the last chapter was funny. I would describe this chapter as being psychologically rich. It didn't have any laugh out loud moments but there are quite a few moments where you chuckle at the main character's expense.

I finally have a good grip on the main characters and the style of humor that the story is employing. It isn't exactly the type of humor that I use when I'm trying to be funny. I tend to be a little more intellectual with my humor. But the book's humor is related to my humor. It is kind of an absurdist sense of humor tied in with an every day man sentiment.

What I'm most concerned about though is bringing back the style of humor from Chapter 1 for Chapter 3. Chapter 2 did what it was supposed to do. It set up a depth that would be mined in the later chapters, but Chapter 3 has to be zany again. And I know that after the heaviness of Chapter 2 I am going to have to work pretty hard to make the reader laugh out loud again, but that is what I am going to have to do.

I have also noticed that my words count has been down this week. I'm still making my standard 1,500 word minimum. But last week I had 2 days over 2,000 and I guess I just expected to continue that level of productivity.

2,000 words a day gives me an extra 2,500 words a week. My goal is to make the book between 65,000 and 70,000 words. So 2,000 words a day shaves off about 2 weeks of writing. But I guess that either way you put it, writing a book is a marathon not a sprint. Either way you put it I will be done before the end of the year as long I keep writing everyday.

Any way, I now have 2 chapters down and about 10 more to go. Word count wise I am almost a quarter of the way through. Yay!

No comments: